There are two types of home insurance: Buildings insurance covers damage to the fabric of your property, including fixtures and fittings; this includes the walls, windows, roof and fittings such as baths, toilets and fitted kitchens. Buildings insurance covers the cost of rebuilding your home from the ground up. Buildings insurance covers the cost of loss or damage caused by fire, smoke, explosion, flood, natural disaster, fallen trees, vandalism, subsidence or vehicle or aircraft collisions.


Contents insurance covers your belongings in your home if they are damaged, destroyed or stolen. Your contents are the items that you would take with you when you moved home. Examples include beds, sofa’s, tables, chairs, laptops, TV’s, clothes, jewellery and ornaments. Contents insurance can be purchased together with buildings insurance or as a standalone policy.


The best way to take advantage of falling premiums is to shop around and see if you can find a cheaper policy elsewhere, instead of automatically renewing. This can be time-consuming and the application process and policy conditions can differ from insurer to insurer. With our extensive experience we can ensure you get the best cover for the most competitive price.


Here at Manley Financial, we will walk you through the types of questions that you need to answer for each insurer, from security elements of your home to what individual items to insure. There are a number of additional extra’s to consider particularly if you have high value items including expensive bikes and jewellery.


Additional cover can be purchased for Legal protection and personal accident cover. With insurers and policies to fit most budgets, we can ensure that the cover you choose is the most appropriate for your individual circumstances.


Many clients always say to me it is cheaper to buy online; I explain to them there is a reason it is cheaper. A policy is only good value if it provides comprehensive cover at a competitive price and will pay out in the event of a claim. Our experience to date regarding some clients horror stories is that they had purchased “cheaper” policies online and they have had issues with the following; no Trace and Access cover, under insured on their contents section and therefore not receiving a full pay out when it comes to a claim. Policies have high excesses and voluntary excesses on Escape of Water where both needs to be paid before a claim for a burst pipe is paid.


Understanding your demands and needs, providing appropriate advice and ensuring you get the best possible cover. After all, it’s vital the policy pays out when the customer needs it. At Manley Financial we can help decide what cover is important and what is worth paying extra for.